My Military Memories
My Military Memories a Gaston Arts Council project to document the stories of Gaston County Veterans from all branches of service. We’re using the Arts (film/storytelling) as a tool to provide the Veterans with an outlet to express themselves and share their stories. To date over 20 Gaston County Veterans have received DVD copies of their story.
Currently, the stories are documented in 1 of 2 ways:
(1) Film the individual personal story and then provide each interviewee with a personal copy of a DVD of their interview to share with their posterity.
(2) Through the medium of writing, Gaston Arts Council has enlisted the assistance of literary artists (writers, spoken word artists, authors and poets) to work with the Veterans to compose their story in a written format.
The filming takes place at Memorial Hall the American Legion 23 military museum in Gastonia as well as at continuing care retirement facilities to accommodate the Veterans who are unable to travel to Memorial Hall.
For more information contact us at (704) 853-2787.
- All Day Event, December 16, 2019 – January 25, 2020 – Maurice Sendak Memorial Exhibition
- 5:00 pm – 7:30 pm, February 11, 2020 – Art for the Heart
- 5:00 pm – 7:30 pm, March 10, 2020 – Art for the Heart
- 5:00 pm – 7:30 pm, April 14, 2020 – Art for the Heart
- 5:00 pm – 7:30 pm, May 12, 2020 – Art for the Heart