My Military Memories
My Military Memories a project to document the stories of Gaston County Veterans from all branches of service. The goal of the project is to use the arts as a tool to provide the Veterans with an outlet to express themselves.
Currently, the stories are documented in one of two ways:
(1) Film the individual personal story and then provide each interviewee with a personal copy of a DVD of their interview to share with their posterity.
(2) Through the medium of writing, Gaston Arts Council has enlisted the assistance of literary artists (writers, spoken word artists, authors and poets) to work with the Veterans to compose their story in a written format.
The process takes place at Memorial Hall the American Legion 23 military museum in Gastonia as well as at continuing care retirement facilities to accommodate the Veterans who are unable to travel to Memorial Hall.
To discuss scheduling an interview, setting up a time to connect with a Veteran or if there are any questions contact us (704) 853-2787.
- 5:00 pm – 7:30 pm, January 23, 2018 – Art for the Heart session
- 4:30 pm – 5:30 pm, January 25, 2018 – LIT UP Event - The Art of Creating With Words: A Conversation With Teens
- 7:00 pm – 8:15 pm, February 9, 2018 – GSOA Playhouse Production: The Mousetrap
- 7:00 pm – 8:15 pm, February 10, 2018 – GSOA Playhouse Production: The Mousetrap
- 3:00 pm – 4:15 pm, February 11, 2018 – GSOA Playhouse Production: The Mousetrap
- 4:00 pm – 7:00 pm, February 25, 2018 – Community Jazz Series Concert