My Military Memories
My Military Memories a Gaston Arts Council project to document the stories of Gaston County Veterans from all branches of service. We’re using the Arts (film/storytelling) as a tool to provide the Veterans with an outlet to express themselves and share their stories. To date over 20 Gaston County Veterans have received DVD copies of their story.
Currently, the stories are documented in 1 of 2 ways:
(1) Film the individual personal story and then provide each interviewee with a personal copy of a DVD of their interview to share with their posterity.
(2) Through the medium of writing, Gaston Arts Council has enlisted the assistance of literary artists (writers, spoken word artists, authors and poets) to work with the Veterans to compose their story in a written format.
The process takes place at Memorial Hall the American Legion 23 military museum in Gastonia as well as at continuing care retirement facilities to accommodate the Veterans who are unable to travel to Memorial Hall.
To discuss scheduling an interview, setting up a time to connect with a Veteran or if there are any questions contact us at (704) 853-2787.
- 5:00 pm – 7:30 pm, January 22, 2019 – Art for the Heart session
- 4:00 pm – 7:00 pm, February 17, 2019 – 2018 - 2019 Community Jazz Series (Jazz @ The Abbey)
- 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm, February 22, 2019 – Carolina Pro Musica in Concert featuring accomplished bass-baritone Carl DuPont
- 4:00 pm – 7:00 pm, April 7, 2019 – 2018 - 2019 Community Jazz Series (Jazz @ The Abbey)