Arts & Humanities Explorers
Gaston Arts Council facilitates the Arts & Humanities Explorers Career and Education program which introduces the multidisciplinary aspects of the arts to Gaston County high school students. The program provides career orientation experiences, leadership opportunities, field trips and community service activities. The primary goals of the program are to aid the students in developing their knowledge of the particular area or areas of interest in the arts and to introduce them to the career, teaching, entrepreneurship possibilities in the arts; as well as prepare the students for their annual presentation.
Special guests are invited to speak to the students on various topics related to pursuing arts as career. Some of the past guest speakers: John Clark, photojournalist, Kathy Blake, columnist, Rhett Heglar, musician, Tim White, musician and April D. Bethea, online producer, Jonell Pulliam, artist, educator, and collector, Kenneth “Kenny” Carr, composer, producer, singer, internationally renowned Jazz musician, Juan Logan, celebrated visual artist, Merryman Cassels, artist & proprietor HIVE, Anouk Valentine, owner, Creative Creations by You, Jan Craft, metalsmith, sculptor & jewelry maker, Jennifer Nichols, Director of Admissions and Counseling, Gaston College, Randy Walker, Public Affairs Producer & host of “Roundtable”, WSGE ~ 91.7 FM and Tim Greene, Assistant Program & Music Director & morning show host, WSGE ~ 91.7 FM.
- 5:00 pm – 7:30 pm, January 23, 2018 – Art for the Heart session
- 4:30 pm – 5:30 pm, January 25, 2018 – LIT UP Event - The Art of Creating With Words: A Conversation With Teens
- 7:00 pm – 8:15 pm, February 9, 2018 – GSOA Playhouse Production: The Mousetrap
- 7:00 pm – 8:15 pm, February 10, 2018 – GSOA Playhouse Production: The Mousetrap
- 3:00 pm – 4:15 pm, February 11, 2018 – GSOA Playhouse Production: The Mousetrap
- 4:00 pm – 7:00 pm, February 25, 2018 – Community Jazz Series Concert